2017 Reflections

It's a new year which means a slight overhaul to the old blog.  I've been wanting to get back to writing as it's always been a way for me to decompress and relieve anxieties within me.  I decided the old layout was just that - old.  It's part of a life I don't want to forget, but I want to move past.  I debated starting a new blog, but this one does hold a lot of history that is mine.  And I don't want to act like that isn't the case anymore.  Besides, it helped through some of my darkest moments of infertility.  I'm not ready to let go of that anguish completely...if that makes any sense.

I haven't written a yearly reflection post in quite some time.  I also haven't actually posted in quite some time.  So here are the highlights of 2017.

January
The year started off bitter sweet.  I had a hysterectomy a week before Christmas throwing me into some of the worst emotional roller coasters I had ever experienced - including the testing phases of IF.  But on the 5th TH's adoption was finalized and that started the year off right.  I spent the rest of the month recovering and just when I thought I was going back to work, I was laid off.  What a beginning, huh?

February
Starting the month with unemployment was hard.  Reworking budgets.  Removing unnecessary expenses.  Applying for unemployment.  And then - WIC.  That may have been the hardest of all it.  But the medical bills were coming in and the last thing I wanted to worry about was where TH would get formula.  It took a lot of prayers and a lot of friends reassuring me that I was doing the right thing to not feel so ashamed.  Sometimes it worked.  But overall, it still stayed with me.  If I had to do it again, I would.  But the stigma of needing assistance is one that should be fixed.  This isn't news - and it's not a political rant.  It's just where we were for the first 3 months of the year.

The best part of February?  On the 11th TH was sealed to us in the temple and then blessed at my parents' home.  It was a day we have waited for.  And it was the most amazing day ever.

March
Unemployment was still coming through and there were a lot of "what am I going to do now?" moments.  There was a major crisis of self for me.  But through all of that, the best part of all of it was spending more time with TH as her little personality blossomed!  I also started a new venture that I am working towards being what I do.  I started working with Young Living as an independent distributor.  I had been using YL products for the last several months (my mom being a huge believer for a couple years) and I loved the opportunity to work from home and generate a little extra.  I was still looking for a full-time job to help with bills, but my passion for YL started here.

April
I interviewed and accepted a job as a project manager.  We took a family vacation to Williamsburg, VA before it started.  It was the perfect way to start a new job.  Fresh off vacation!  We even had friends from Baltimore meet us.

May
Honestly, nothing sticks out for May...

June
Towards the end of May I nominated mom for the Spirit of Service award given by the Young Living Foundation.  We found out she was one of the honorees so Young Living flew her out to Salt Lake City for convention and I got to tag along.  She was awarded at the formal gala which meant dressing up!  We thought we were there just for the dinner and that was it.  Boy, did they spoil us!  We were presented with badges that got us into all of the seminars and to tour the farm and we received the same swag bags everyone else got.  It was phenomenal.  And what a way to light our passion for YL on fire!  We came back with so much intensity.  It was an experience that was clearly presented by God for us and I'm so grateful we got to take it.

Michael had surgery on his collar bone after we got back.  It was something we debated on doing, but we decided it needed to happen.  We relied A LOT on family and friends to help with TH since he couldn't care for her.  It was a difficult road.

July
July was hot and I had my birthday.  We also celebrated our 6 year anniversary by taking a spontaneous family trip to Chattanooga.  It was so much fun celebrating with just the three of us.

August
November of 2016 (before all of the craziness happened surrounding my surgery), I bought flights to Scotland for a belated anniversary trip.  I even had the foresight to purchase trip insurance.  After I lost my job, we debated cancelling the trip.  We prayed so hard for an answer, but nothing ever came.  Nothing to signify cancelling it or keeping it.  The delayed answer was our answer.  With my new job came a pay raise.  And then we found out Michael was approved for disability.  We needed that trip to get away as a couple and clear our heads and it was just what we did.  TH stayed with my parents (thank Heavens for them!) and we enjoyed 7 days in Scotland.  It did not disappoint!

September
TH started "school!"  We pay for it, so it's daycare.  But the facility is run very much like a school to where the teachers are legit teachers with degrees and certifications that have lesson plans that are approved ahead of time.  It has been a God-send.  It's up the road from my parents' and on my way to work.  I can drop her off early and pick up as late as 6:30.  A few times my parents had to run and get her if I was stuck at work too long.  It's been amazing and we love love love everyone there!

October
October starts the fun!  Fall is always INCREDIBLE busy.  But then it got busier as mom and I really pushed our business by setting up at events.  It has been out of my comfort level, but it's definitely something I am challenging myself with.  Halloween was a blast and we dressed up as Monsters, Inc.  TH was simple as Boo.  Michael was Sully.  I was Mike.  Work has been busy and sometimes takes up more time in the evenings than I care for it to, so our costumes were VERY basic, but they were adorable!

November
Mom and I staged and ran a booth at the Atlanta Ultimate Women's Expo the first weekend.  It was EXHAUSTING.  And unfortunately did not lead to anything new (yet), but it was quite an experience.  Over Thanksgiving my parents went to Canada to visit TH's birth mom and brother.  They spent the week with them in a wintery wonderland.  I'm actually very jealous of it, but it just pushed us to book our flights to visit her this year after TH's 2nd birthday.  We spent Thanksgiving with Michael's sister.

December
My favorite month.  Pretty much ever.  Christmas always gives me that child-like wonderment.  TH did AMAZING with the tree and ornaments.  She didn't disturb the presents either.  We were spoiled with lots of love and family and TH with toys.  We also transitioned her bed into a toddler bed just before New Year's Eve and so far it's been amazing!  Our TH is growing up so fast.  We rang in the new year a couple hours early with some of our dear friends and their kids.  It was honestly the perfect way to end the year.

~~~~~

The year was filled with lots of downs, but it had so many more ups!  All of the experiences we had just brought us closer as a family and to the friends that continue to stick by us - even if it's just for TH.  We were truly blessed and saw God's hand in the experiences we had - good and bad.  I'm so excited to see what 2018 has in store for us.

Comments

Popular Posts