My Little Piece of Earth

Mary: Can I have a bit of earth?
Lord Craven: A bit of earth?
Mary: To plant seeds in.  To make things grow.
- from The Secret Garden, 1993.

My Little Piece of Earth.  I love this movie.  It always hit me deep when watching it as a kid.  And as I watch it now as an adult, I grasp more of the lessons that it has to teach us.  I'm not sure why this quote has always stuck with me, but it has.  I guess I was always looking for my bit of earth to plant seeds in to grow.  To nourish the earth with beauty and inspiration.  Ironically, I'm pretty good at killing plants more than I am nourishing them.  But never the less, I still yearn for the ability to plant my seeds of inspiration and hope that someone gains some insight or perspective from them.

Brighter Horizons.  I was looking for something good in the world.  Something meaning and also something to make sense.  Earlier in 2008 I had made some pretty big decisions in my life.  I had started at Kennesaw State, I had ended a two-year relationship, and I had moved back in with my parents.  I was 23 years old and had made a lot of grown up decisions in my opinion.  I realize now (as I have also realized in the past) that had I not made some of those decisions I would have been a very different person than I am now.

Today's blog inspiration for the Ultimate Blog Challenge (UCB): Write a post on the significance of your blogs name. Why did you name it what you did. What kinds of things did you do to come up with the name? Have you grown into the name, changed it from something else or even thinking you may be growing out of it?  I thought  I would give this a try, but to do so, I'd have to go back to where it all started to gain better insight as to where I was when I first started this blog.  One day I'll have to go back and read everything over again.  I'm sure I've changed since the beginning, but it will be interesting to see how much.  My first blog is entitled Brand New Sidewalk and can be found here {if you're interested}.  I posted it in January of 2009.  Over 3 1/2 years ago.  I can tell you that since that first post, I have changed so much.  But I've also stayed the same in a lot of way.

I don't think I would change my blog name.  At least I wouldn't anytime soon.  It all still holds true to me in some way.  I'm still looking for good in the world, always.  I'm not saying I don't ever find it.  I find good most of the places I'm at.  I'm just always searching for more to lift my spirits.  And I'm always trying to plant my seeds of inspiration for others to hold on to.  That's all I can hope for, right?

Comments

Popular Posts